Monday, January 08, 2007

HAPPY 72nd, ELVIS!

Yep, today would have been The King's 72nd birthday. Check out this article about the meeting that gave us this iconic photo (one of the most requested documents from the National Archives), and the story of how the King got his Federal Agent badge that day:

The chain of events that led to the meeting began when a stretch limousine carrying Elvis pulled up outside the White House. One of his guards handed over a letter from Elvis addressed to Nixon requesting a meeting to discuss how the rock star could help Nixon fight drugs — including getting credentials as a "federal agent at large."

"I will be here as long as it takes to get the credentials of a Federal Agent," Elvis wrote. "I have done an in-depth study of drug abuse and Communist brainwashing techniques and I am right in the middle of the whole thing where I can and will do the most good."

I wish I could add something to that last paragraph to make it funnier but that would be impossible.

Elvis Note #1: I have a black & white postcard with that same photo on the wall of my cube at work. I bought it at Graceland when Irene and I went for my friend Morty's wedding in 2003, intending to send it to my dad, but liked it too much so I kept it. Sorry, Dad.

Elvis Note #2: I am now the same age Elvis was when he died. Kind of scary to think of that. I was going to make a dying on the throne joke here but I think I'll hold off on that for now, maybe even until I turn 43, just to be safe.

1 comment:

PVII said...

Are you free for some fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches with a side of gravy sometime this week?