Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Iris's Allergies

Iris went to the allergist for the first time and poor little girl had to get poked 20 times with diffeent substances. Then they come back 15 minutes later & measure the size of the welts produced and use the sizes to determine what she's allergic to.

First the good news. Iris is not allergic to:
Wheat (phew--we were worried about that one)
Salmon (living in Seattle this is very good news)
Hazelnuts
Walnuts
Pecans
Dust mites

Now the not so good. Iris is allergic to:
Cow's Milk (we already knew this--it was her strongest reaction)
Eggs (we knew this one too)
Tuna (slight reaction so she might still be able to eat)
Almonds
Brazil Nuts
Cashews
Sesame
Peanuts
Soybeans (Dr. thinks this may be a false positive due to her reaction to peanuts & said we can try her on a bit of soymilk to see how she takes it)
Cat dander (not too bad on this one so Freddy's still safe)
Dog dander (stronger reaction than to the cat dander)

I guess that explains why her skin was so red & irritated the whole time we were in Texas over July 4th--we stayed at my sister's house with her 2 longhaired cats & big fluffy dog. We blamed it on the heat & humidity but maybe it was the pet dander.

There's not much we can do about it for now other than avoid the things she's allergic to and have her re-tested in 6 months or a year and see if there's been any changes. Kind of a bummer that there's no better treatment available right now.

This is Irene giving her 2 cents: Mom was working today so it was only Dad who got to see the torture of Iris. I can't believe she has these allergies. I nursed her exclusively for her first 6 months, and have continued nursing her even now that she's 1 year old. I can't imagine what her allergies or skin condition would be like if I didn't bother. :(

2 comments:

Helen L. said...

I just watched The Doctors' segment on food allergies and kids. One family had a son who was allergic to at least twenty things. Dr. Sears recommended you should avoid egg whites for the first year. Kids can out grow some of the allergies, so re-testing would probably be good.

Arlene said...

Poor babe! I feel for her but am hoping she'll outgrow most if not all of these allergies. It could be worse - I mean how often is she going to eat tuna? Cornelia's never had it.