Alternate title, copied from the story on the WaMu internal web site:
"JPMorgan Chase and Washington Mutual Join Together"
The Feds stepped in and seized the assets of my employer, WaMu on Wednesday and auctioned them off to the highest bidder. JP Morgan Chase bought the assets (~$300 billion in deposits and the bank branch network) plus around $31Billion in bad debt for the bargain price of 1.9Billion. So I work for JP Morgan Chase now, I think I do anyway. Good article here from NY Times that summarizes the whole mess.
I was on a plane on my way to NH for Sox-Yankee game tonight when this all went down. My phone was abuzz with emails, text messages and voicemails of two types: those telling me what had happened (my boss & another coworker) and the "you still have a job?" "you ok?" type from everyone else.
As I said, I still have a job for now, at least. All I've been told is that it's business as usual for the time being so I figure I'm probably ok thru the end of the year at least. who knows.
What I'm more concerned with today is the CRAP weather around here & whether the game will actually be played tonight. My brother Gary & I flew in last night (dad knew I was coming but Gary was a surprise) just for the game tonight and are both leaving tomorrow, game or no. We already checked & changing flights isn't going to work for either of us, so we're hoping that the steady rain we're seeing right now will go away long enough for us to watch Dice-K put away the Yankees tonight.
I'll post more about work when I get more info - thanks for all the calls & messages.
GO SOX!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
We've been thinking about you all day. Hard to believe this is real!
Post a Comment