Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Czech War on Santa

from my new favorite magazine: The Week
War on Santa
Prague

"The Czech Republic has launched an ad campaign to discourage businesses from putting up Christmas ads that feature Santa Claus. "This stupid, fat guy with the red outfit is taking over our television ads, and we say it's enough," ad agency head Martin Charvat told the London Independent. In the Czech tradition, on Christmas Eve, instead of Santa, it's the baby Jesus who flies magically into the house and leaves presents in children's stockings. Czechs do have a St. Nicolas figure, but he comes by earlier. Each year on Dec. 6, men dress up as St. Nick or the devil and walk around town in pairs asking children to sing or recite. Good kids get candy from St. Nick, while bad ones get whacked with the devil's stick."
I like the reward/punishment aspect of their Christmas tradition--maybe we should start that system here as well. I don't remember seeing any official "Devil's Whacking Stick" for sale among the marionettes and nesting dolls when we were in Prague. Sounds like a marketing opportunity for the nouveau capitalists over there.

Speaking of nesting dolls - they sell them painted every way you can imagine over there--soccer, basketball, football, baseball players, simpsons, shrek, Disney characters, South Park, etc, etc:I regret not buying the one with David "Big Papi" Ortiz on it for my dad for Christmas. Sorry dad--maybe if he wins MVP next year I'll find one for you.

No comments: