
As an early Mother's Day present, Jim bought me tickets to see Duran Duran. It was a thoughtful gift since I didn't even know they were touring. He also bought me their new album off my wish list on Amazon. Finally the day arrived and I got to see the boys along with our friend Erica. We're both moms who left the kids (she has 2 kids, one is only 3 weeks older than Iris) with the dads for the night.
I was excited to see them since it had been years when I last saw them. I was a huge Duran Duran fan in high school. I've been known to skip school to stalk them whenever they were in town. I saw them last (with all the original members) back in the early 1980s when they were touring to support Seven and the Ragged Tiger. The band broke up shortly afterward. They reunited in 2004 to release Astronaut. I missed seeing them on that tour because it was on the night of the last class of Mandarin Chinese for travelers. (Jim and I ended up not going to China with our friends, Pat and Robin, so it was a shame I blew off the show). Since then, Andy Taylor left the band (again!).
They put on a great show. They played alot of their hits (Save A Prayer, The Reflex, A View To A Kill, Girls On Film...) and songs off the new album. They also did a cover of "Warm Leatherette" which I enjoyed. I tried singing it for Jim but he doesn't know the song. Guess it's a test if you were really into New Wave in the 80s.
I'm still on a high from seeing them. I've been subjecting Iris and Jim to their albums. Iris seems to like it when I sing along to the songs. I'll always have a soft spot for these guys because it'll always remind me of my youth. BTW, Simon still can't dance. Nick is looking alittle like Andy Warhol. Roger should have used more sunscreen in his youth. John has aged well, giving up the blonde hair and fedora.
2 comments:
I was at the show too in row 5. I totally had a blast and blogged about it too. The set in the middle of the show where they all came up to the front of the stage was a bit odd, but overall I had a great time and had ringing in the ears well into the next day.
Gotta love JT!! My family still mocks me that I was in love with them.
Post a Comment