Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Iris: 5 months old, April visitors, hospital visit

1. Iris turned 5 months old on Monday 4/21. Happy 5 months, baby!

2. We've had a couple rounds of visitors this month. Jim's brother ML (AKA Jack, John) and his youngest son Reed were up here from the SF bay area the weekend of April 5-6 , and our friends Lorraine and Rob from Ireland were here from Saturday evening until this morning. We had a great time with both sets of visitors. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Here's one of Iris at last night's Mariners 4-2 win over Baltimore. Iris' career record at Seattle games remains perfect.
She's 3-0 at Mariners games and 2-0 at Sonics.


3. Iris has been eating more as she's grown, and Irene's been struggling to keep up with her, so we accepted the inevitable and I tried giving her some formula yesterday when I was home with Lorraine & Rob. Only I didn't give her a small amount to start--I gave her a full bottle of the same Similac (blue label) formula that she had a few bottles of in the hospital her first week.

It was a bad idea starting her off with so much formula when she hadn't had it in months--she vomited it all up & then it seemed that she had an allergic reaction to the cow's milk protein in it, according to her doctor's best guess. After vomiting her lips turned bluish-purple and the area around her mouth was kind of white and felt cool to the touch, so we took her to the hospital to be sure she was OK.

They tested her oxygen saturation level as soon as we got there and it looked fine, so even though it was pretty scary it turned out to be nothing serious. She also saw her regular doctor after the hospital & seemed back to her usual self after a nice long nap--see the photo above from last night's game for proof.

She's now going to try a hypo-allergenic version of the formula, which has much less cows milk proteins in that so we're hoping that'll do the trick. We'll start her off with just 1 ounce and see how that goes--more news later & more photos soon I promise.

No comments: